Building and designing websites have now turned into both an art and science. User experience (UX) looks into the accessibility, usability, and efficiency of interactions happening on your website. Crafting your website with user experience design is likened to being an architect that designs and builds your home from scratch. Designing better user experience on your website is similar to putting together a blueprint to outline the details and functionality of your site.
Improving the flow of your website also enhances user experience. With the designs, you need to think about or factor in the individuals who will be browsing your site. You need to look into individual user personas. Web interfaces should be easy to use and has a consistent flow. This helps the users move through the content pages. Remove dead ends and make sure that you are using an interface that is common and familiar to a regular user.
Here are the tips on how to create a better user experience on your website:
- Fast loading speed. Be wary of delays that would span longer than just a few seconds as this will make users decide to leave the website. The actual perception of website speed is dependent on the waiting time, load time, smoothness of the animation, and load behavior. Ideally, the website text should load first before the images so that users would be able to start reading before the images complete. Perception matters to users. If your site feels fast even if it’s just mere perception then that is a plus point for your brand. Speed is important in loading sites because this helps you achieve your goals on the site right away.
- Optimized for mobile. It is best to use single taps on your site’s mobile design. Ideally, the touch target on mobile should be 1cm x 1cm. The text and images should not be too small and must be large enough for easy navigation and scrolling.
- Using links. Product reviews and images should always be clickable. Make sure that each link is live and working. The links on your website must stand out so make sure to underline or use blue text for emphasis. More so, the links should always look as is.
- Search field. There should always be a search field on any website for filtering content. Search icons should always appear in a form of a text box when using a desktop. For mobile, the search icon would be most suitable. Position this on the right top corner for visibility. Make sure that the search field would be easy to find in all platforms.
- Content placement is key. You must place the top priority content on top of the page. This would vary depending on the platform and analytics for each. The most important or latest information must be highlighted visually for emphasis. Use contrasts in size and color on your website. Location and emergency information are considered very important especially for mobile users.
This is said to be a scanning or skimming generation. People would usually scan the pages first before deciding whether it’s worth reading or sharing. Make sure that you create a better user experience for your visitors to make your website stand out from competition, create conversions, and gain repeat customers.